Friday 30 September 2011

Structuring my story

‘Up all night’ the new 2011 single from Pop Punk band blink 182 is song that I am making my video for. The song is very narrative and is telling a clear story of someone who is struggling with the issues in their life.
Because of the strong story in the lyrics, I wanted to interpret this for myself, and create my own story for the song.
I read a screenwriting book which was clear on how to create a structure that would work well for film. This was to have an Introduction to set the scene then to bring in Plot Point 1, this would swing the story in to the main events until we reached Plot Point 2 which was an event in the story that would then swing in to the Resolution. I adapted this formula to the structure of the song. This had now created the framework for the story.
Although telling a story, I was aware that that this is a music video, and every bit of action needed to be visually interesting, and actions needed to be clear; not confusing.
Blink 182 are now in their mid 30’s and have considerably grown up. The song mentionsEveryone raises kids in a world that changes life to a bitter game.
Obviously the song could be significant for adults, as well as teenagers. However as a teenager, I wanted to create an interpretation that meant something to me, and aiming this at a teenage audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment